Non-Immigrant Visa for Investors (E2 Visa)

The US government provides an unlimited number of non-immigrant investor visas (E-2 visas) to individuals wishing to live and work in the United States by investing in U.S. businesses. The applicant must be a citizen of a country possessing an investor treaty (pdf) with the U.S. To learn about immigrant visas for investors, click here.

Immigration Law Offices in Miami offers special services to those interested in investing in a new or existing US business. Our experienced attorneys and paralegals will evaluate your specific case to make sure you qualify for an investor visa, help you complete the appropriate application forms, give you a checklist of your required documents, and ensure that your application is complete and error-free.

FREE INCORPORATION FILING SERVICE: For no additional charge, we can file your articles of incorporation or partnership application with the State of Florida.

FREE ONLINE BUSINESS GUIDE: for more info, check out our free step-by-step business guide to starting a business in Miami, including up to date information on Miami business licenses and fees, fictitious business names, financing assistance, and tax incentives.

Please contact us now for a free 1/2 hour consultation on your case. Your information will be kept secure and confidential.

E2 Visa Contact Form

Quota: none
Length of Visa: not more than two years at a time
Application Processing Time: 2-4 weeks*
*For faster visa processing, we recommend Premium Processing, which speeds up processing time to 15 days or less.


In order to qualify for an E2 investor visa you must demonstrate that you:

(1) will develop and direct the investment enterprise. This can be shown by proof that you own at least 50% of the U.S. company or are a "key employee" of the company, i.e. an indispensible executive or manager.

(2) will make a "substantial cash investment" (normally at least $100,000 for most countries) in the U.S.-based business. Investment capital must be your unsecured personal business capital or capital secured by business assets.

(3) are investing in a U.S.-based company that is actively engaged in trade and profitable enough to warrant the hiring of American workers

(4) intend to leave the U.S. upon termination of your business there

Accompanying relatives of E-2 visa holders are also eligible for E-2 visas. They may stay and work in the U.S.

Extensions: not more than two years at a time; no specified limit.

To be eligible for an E-2 visa extension, the investor must prove:

  • that (s)he has at all times maintained the terms and conditions of the E visa
  • was physically present at the time of filing the application for extension of stay, and
  • has not abandoned their extension request.

Do you have a question about investor visas? Let our experienced attorneys and paralegals answer your questions. Your first consultation is FREE.


Investor Treaty:
A certain number of countries possess an agreement with the United States to allow reciprocal investment. The current list includes these countries (Adobe Acrobat pdf file).


Accompanying Relative:
The spouse or child under the age of 21 of the holder of an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa, who is accompanying them to the US




Work Visas (List):

Immigrant Work Visas

Non-Immigrant Work Visas:

Immigration Updates

All About The
Green Card Lottery

Investing in or starting a business in Miami?

Starting a Business in Miami

Click here for our Miami business guide!

Licenses, fees, incorporation, business brokers, and more!